Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Why black beans are really green



This weekend I rekindled an old love affair. And learned something new at the same time. I found, at the bottom of one of my cupboards, a large bag of dried black beans. I don't know how long they had been there. I soaked them overnight in cold water, and then put them in the slow cooker with some chopped garlic, cumin (you can also use canned beans for our Easy Black Bean recipe). Then I went skiing. When I came home, I had a ginormous slow-cooker full of heady black beans. I put them out as a side along with Poblano and Skirt Steak fajitas for a dinner party for 20   had Saturday, stuffed them in the leftover poblanos to make chile rellenos for Sunday night and now that it is Monday (which I try to make meatless) they are going to go into vegetarian Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chile for tonight's Meatless Monday dinner.

What amazed me is that this one bag of black beans, which cost less than $5 could feed dinner party, and then provide leftovers for three or more meals. These little black beans took no refrigeration and even cooked, they don't go bad easily. They are also rich in protein, fiber and folate and are immensely satisfying and filling (which makes them a good alternative if you are skipping meat) . By using the slow cooker, I saved on energy and time too, and had three meals practically made for me.
I started to understand why dried beans have been the foundation for so many native diets throughout North and South America. And I'd love to know how you use them too!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment