Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Do You Compost (and other not-so-great pickup lines)

Do You Compost?
"Do you compost?" may not be exactly the best pick-up line, but it can tell you worlds about a person. On our first date, the man I  love told me all about his gorgeous roses, terraced gardens, and fragrant peonies. He did not, he confessed, have a vegetable garden (something I knew I would change).

It took a few weeks of cautious dating before I popped the question. We were making dinner together and tried to make it sound casual. Hands full of asparagus ends, I turned to him and said "So, do you compost?"

He gave me a blank stare. I went on to explain how composting is a great way to cut down on waste, build up good nutrients for your soil, keep your kitchen cleaner (I keep my little container right near my cutting board). I explained how the ENTIRE city of San Francisco now composts (it's mandatory) and how no self respecting gardener could really live without a compost bin one.

A year later, we toiled all spring over building a vegetable garden, lugging bags of manure and soil down his steep hill, terracing a side of the lawn. One late spring evening we stood in awe above the dark soil marveling over the first little leaves of arugula like proud parents. I brought up the compost bin again. No interest. Finally, on his birthday, I went out and bought him a little pail for the kitchen and a plastic bin ($45 at my town dump) for the yard. I showed him how to use it.

It's nearly a year later now. We're getting the garden ready again. And the compost bin is nearly full. And I love him all the more for it.

Speak up!  do you compost? Do you have challenges getting your partner to compost? What are your tips?

Green Tip of the Day: Even if you don't have a yard, many cities have composting programs. And if you do, your recycling center will often sell composters for significantly less than garden stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment