Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What's In Your Glass?



I woke up this morning to TORRENTIAL rain --the kind that makes you want to pull the covers up and hide until it clears again. I could also hear the river across the street rushing with snowmelt and rain. But part of me was happy: you see, this is the water that will fill my well and natural spring. It's the water I will drink all summer. Truth is, one of the reasons I bought my house is that the water in my valley is cool, clear and delicious. Even if it were not though, I would drink tap over bottled pretty water pretty much all of the time. Why?


1. 40% of bottled water—including top-brands Aquafina and Dasani—is simply filtered tap water, not water from natural springs or other “pure” sources.

2. In the United States, more than 10 million barrels of oil are used to bottle water annually—and that’s just production. Consider the oil consumption (and emissions) required to bring water to the U.S. from Fiji, for example.

3. Americans throw away 22 billion water bottles each year, over 60 million each day. It can take as long as 1,000 years for the average plastic bottle to biodegrade.


Green Tip of the Day: Get some of the nifty glass water bottles that are featured in the Fresh section of the April issue of EatingWell Magazine. Why? Glass bottles avoid BPA and plastic: to learn more about these bottles and BPA, click here.

Speak up! And I'd love to know (and I'm talking to you guys in this growing Green Living group), what water do you drink and what are your thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment